2017-2018 Young Legislators Program
Overview of the Program
Assemblymember Jacqui Irwin is honored to welcome the second cohort of The Young Legislators Program in the 44th Assembly District, a program with the goal of preparing our youth today in becoming future leaders of tomorrow.
The program will expose students to state and local legislative process, local issues affecting the community, navigating the higher education system, and introduce them to career opportunities. It consists of:
- Six Saturday seminars on civic engagement in local city and county government; navigating higher education; and career opportunities. The seminars will be in collaboration with community figures and other leaders from the 44th Assembly District.
- A trip to the State Capitol in Sacramento, where students will learn how ideas become laws, observe a full session of the State Assembly, sit-in on committee hearings, and meet with other legislators and policymakers from across our state.
The Young Legislators Program is a great introduction on how government works and impacts local communities. It will help create a foundation for youth and motivate them to take leadership within their community.
Eligibility and Important Dates:
- Only high school incoming 2017-2018 sophomores and juniors in the City of Oxnard (or surrounding areas of El Rio, Nyland Acres, and Port Hueneme) are currently eligible.
- In order to be considered, you must commit to the SIX Saturday seminars from October 2017- April 2018. NO EXCEPTIONS.
- Deadline to apply is Thursday, August 31, 2017.
For questions, please contact my Oxnard district office at (805) 483-4488.